What is CARD™?
CARD™ (C - Comfort, A - Ask, R - Relax, D - Distract) is an evidence-based framework that teaches how to prepare for vaccination.
What are the benefits of CARD™?
- It reduces stress-related reactions, including fear, pain, dizziness and fainting during vaccination.
- It improves the vaccination experience for people receiving a vaccine and for those who support them, such as educators, parents and health care providers.
- It teaches lifelong coping skills that can be used for other stressful situations.
How can YOU help?
- Collaborate with all vaccination partners, such as school staff, parents and caregivers.
- Reinforce learning and practice.
- Remind people of vaccination day.
- Support people’s choices for coping during vaccination.
- Praise and celebrate people for actively participating in their health care.
For more information, see www.cardsystem.ca.
Immunize Canada, the University of Toronto (HELPinKids&Adults), and SickKids (AboutKidsHealth) have created resources to inform and equip educators, parents, and health care providers with evidence-based tools they can use to help people have a better vaccination experience at school or in a clinical setting.
A guide for health-care providers, with vaccination-day checklist: Improving the vaccination experience
Video | School vaccinations: What you need to know about vaccines at school
Video | School vaccinations: The CARD System: Play your power CARD
Parent video – School vaccinations: Improving the vaccination experience at school